GE Renewable Energy’s Grid Solutions business(NYSE:GE) announced today it is showcasing its F35-145 kilovolt (kV) gas-insulated substation atElfack in Göteborg, the Nordic’s largest annual trade fair for the electricity and power industry. The substation operates with Green Gas for Grid, or g³ (pronounced “g” cubed), GE’s groundbreaking gas alternative to the sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) insulating gas used in high-voltage electrical transmission equipment. GE’s g3 products feature the same ratings and same dimensional footprint as state-of-the-art SF6 equipment, with a drastically-reduced environmental impact: more than 99% less gas global warming potential (GWP), comparatively. Also, g3 products operate with no restriction under the same temperature range as SF6 products (down to -30°C).
Key g3 projects include:
- National Grid, United Kingdom1: Recognized as having the world’s first 420 kV g3 gas-insulated line. The 230 meter-long, g³ gas-insulated line (GIL) was commissioned in 2017.
- Axpo Grid, Switzerland1: Hosts the world’s first full g3 gas-insulated substations energized in 2018. The F35-110 kV-g3-GIS features the same footprint and same ratings as the state-of-the-art SF6 equipment.
- SSEN, Scotland2: GE is installing the world’s largest g3 gas mass in Scotland. Two substations will include HV g3 equipment that will avoid the installation of approximately 200,000 tons of CO2e.
- SP Energy Networks, Scotland1: Two projects, including a 177-meter-long g3-GIL and 16 bays of 145kV g3-GIS, will prevent the installation of approximately 55,000 tons of greenhouse gas on the Scottish Grid.
- TenneT, Germany1: The first g3-insulated 245 kV current transformers ever installed were energized in Germany in 2017.
GE’s g³ is fully type-tested and available for gas-insulated substations (GIS) up to 145 kV, gas-insulated lines (GIL) up to 420 kV and air-insulated substations (AIS) instrument transformers up to 245 kV.
2 SSEN PR : https://www.ssen-transmission.co.uk/media/2750/ssen-transmission_low-carbon_update_v3.pdf orhttps://www.gegridsolutions.com/press/gepress/SSEN_Transmission_sites_lead_way_with_new%20environmentally_friendly_gas_insulated_switchgear.htm
About GE’s Grid Solutions
GE’s Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 17,000 employees in approximately 80 countries. Grid Solutions helps enable utilities and industry to effectively manage electricity from the point of generation to the point of consumption, helping to maximize the reliability, efficiency and resilience of the grid. For more about GE Renewable Energy’s Grid Solutions business, visit www.gegridsolutions.com.