Xylem is helping the power generation industry manage process optimization and unreliable water supply with the expansion of its leading pump portfolio to include: the rugged and efficient e-MP multistage ring section pumps, e-XC single stage double suction centrifugal pumps, and larger vertical turbine pumps. With crucial expertise in strategic water management for fossil fuels, nuclear and renewable sources, Xylem is introducing these robust products to support the plant managers’ goals of operational continuity, efficiency and cost savings, while maintaining regulatory compliance.
Designed to integrate sourcing, treatment and reuse to increase productivity and profitability, these pumps, as part of the industry’s broadest industrial water and fluid management offering, help plant managers’ address a wide range of industry needs, including:
- Raw water intake and treatment
- Water boosting, transfer and circulation
- Condensate extraction
- Boiler feed and boiler feed boosting
- Water and fluid cooling
- Heat transfer
- Industrial wastewater
- Storm water and flood control
“Power companies are challenged now more than ever to minimize production interruptions at a time when water scarcity is extensive and environmental regulations are increasingly stringent,” said Joshua Allen, Xylem Industrial Solutions Director of Marketing, Americas. “Drawing on more than 170 years of experience, our engineers developed these solutions to keep operations online and with as little cost or impact to the environment as possible.”
Xylem’s e-MP, e-XC and vertical turbine pumps are customizable to meet the demands of power generation applications – from raw water intake and cooling water to wastewater discharge. Built on the thinking that every step of power production is part of a process versus a stand-alone function, these products are safer, stronger and more efficient for lower lifecycle costs and energy demands. More benefits of the products are outlined below.
- e-MP – The multistage ring section pump is ideal for high-pressure applications, such as low to mid flow boiler feed, deaerator, and heat transfer fluids. Versatile mechanical configuration and optimized pump hydraulics enable reduced energy consumption and wear and tear, while intelligent pumping features boost monitoring and control performance with multiple sensor interfaces and options.
- e-XC – Designed for maximum durability and performance in even the harshest environments, the e-XC comes in multiple models, configurations and a wide range of materials to handle aggressive applications. A corrosion-resistant stainless steel impeller and wear rings as standard reduce downtime, increase efficiency and enhance overall performance.
- Vertical turbine pump – The highly efficient extension to the existing Xylem vertical turbine product line, it’s scaled with capacities up to 50,000 GPM for the largest fluid needs, including raw water intake, condensate extraction and transformer cooling. With bowl efficiencies near 90% and broad hydraulic coverage, water professionals can realize greater energy savings while maintaining superior pumping power.
“As the energy demand continues to rise amid the ongoing need to upgrade aging infrastructure, secure the grid against natural disasters and reduce environmental impacts, the power generation industry is relying more and more on innovative and dependable products to support its utility planning and capital expenditures,” Allen added. “The e-MP, e-XC and vertical turbine pumps enable power companies to meet all these needs and stay profitable.”